The Glenmore Hotel, an Aussie icon since 1921.
The Glenmore Hotel was built by Brewers Tooth & Co in 1921 and has been an Aussie icon ever since. It is one of the last surviving pre- Harbour Bridge buildings on Cumberland Street, north of the Cahill Expressway. The site is known to have been occupied from the early years of 1800, although it is likely that, like the other ridges of The Rocks, it was occupied by the encampment of settlers in the first weeks of the arrival of the First Fleet in 1788.
With its colonial old English charm and character, The Glenmore has been a popular watering hole, which has survived depressions, wars and plagues. This hidden gem in The Rocks was starting to show her age and in early 2012 it was closed for refurbishment for 9 months of loving restoration. The building itself is heritage listed for it’s traditional Rocks pub allure.
Immediately to the south of The Glenmore is the Argyle Bridge, built as part of the improvements undertaken by the Sydney Harbour Trust. Gloucester and Cumberland Streets were realigned and the two road bridges over the Argyle Cut replaced by a single bridge at Cumberland Street in 1911-12.
During the 1970’s several changes were approved by the SCRA. The bar was shortened with the stipulation that the front would be tiled to match the original. The Rooftop laundry, Cumberland Street balconies and the parapet were removed in 1975.
Brick for brick, The Glenmore was re-built
The Glenmore was originally constructed on the other side of Cumberland Street in the 1880’s but had to be moved to make way for the construction of the Sydney Harbour Bridge which commenced in 1923. Brick by brick, the Glenmore re-built at 96 Cumberland Street where it currently stands today.
When the plague hit Cumberland Street and its buildings in the early 1900’s, a lot of it was demolished and re-built. During The Glenmore renovations, the archeologists struck a roadside kerb when demolishing the old staff wash room. The stone work was still intact & we will proceed to preserve and maintain a little piece of Australian history.
We struck gold!
During the 2012 renovations and removing walls, a tiny silver 15 pence made in 1870 was found near our cellar. Now in the hands of the archeologists, the circular silver coin was 19mm in diameter with milled edge also bearing on the obverse a crown with the words, NEW SOUTH WALES and date below
AHA NSW Award Winner 2016: Best Rooftop Bar!
What people are saying about the Glenmore
Room was beautifully set up. Lauren was amazing. She was attentive and easy going. She understood the style of the event and worked within our run sheetKylie Farquhar
Booked Mother’s Day lunch many years ago and enjoyed it so much have come back every year as well as booking somebody other family events thereHelen Arnott
Great meals, second time at this venue. Will come back, definitelyKristina Roberts
Known as the ‘Public Bar’ this floor has maintained its traditional Rocks pub appeal. It is a place to meet for lunch or after work drinks on the outdoor seating, have a flutter on the horses with our TAB facilities or an intimate lunch in the Harbour Lounge nook with a big leather back booth and views over The Rocks precinct.
The Glenmore Lounge located on the middle floor hosts a cocktail bar and collection of elegant rooms; Grand Dining Room, Club Room and Drawing Room. Perfect for private dining, meetings or social gatherings.
Take in the sweeping million dollar, 180 degree views of Sydney Harbour and CBD from The Glenmore’s sensational rooftop. The rooftop has long been a destination for those who would like to soak up the sun and enjoy a meal, all whilst overlooking the world’s most beautiful harbour. With a retractable roof, the rooftop is open rain, hail or shine so you can enjoy the view all year round.